Empowering Communities with Cultural Sustainability

In the NICU (Sept 1)

Home / Health / NICU / In the NICU (Sept 1)

In the NICU (Sept 1)

I woke up at 6am thinking, “I guess I’ll go see the baby in NICU now”. Then I realized I was very hungry and needed a shower, so I pumped milk and sent it down to the baby. In doing so, the nurses knew I was awake and wanted to check my blood pressure etc. Then lactation consultant came and wanted to know how things were going. I don’t know, I’d like to go downstairs the see the baby.

Then the NICU doctor came to update me on the baby. Ariasha did great feeding using the special bottle. Then she threw up all night long. It was brown and bloody, so they x-rayed her tummy to make sure nothing weird was going on. It’s probably just stuff she swallowed during birth. (thank you for the emotional rollercoaster first thing in the morning).

I finally got to go down to the NICU to see the baby. Sometime around 9am Duane joined me in the NICU and we got the update on the baby. Grandma & Monkey were up in my room, so I went to see Monkey, eat 2nd breakfast, and pump milk.

Duane learned how to use the special bottle to feed Lioness. I missed that lesson because Monkey had a giant diaper explosion, and Dada forgot to bring her diapers. So I had a naked toddler in my room and no idea what to do about it. But we’re in a giant hospital, so my nurse called over to the children’s hospital and got some diapers for us.

I took Monkey down to see her sister. We’re in a “pod” with only 1 other baby, so Monkey was completely distracted by the fact there were “two babies!”

Duane took Monkey to get her pants, run some errands and take a nap at the Ronald McDonald House. Grandma & I sat with the baby, and then I left them and went to my room for lunch and more pumping milk. Then Grandma went back to the Ronald McDonald House to care for Monkey, while Duane joined me in the NICU taking turns holding the baby.

The hearing Doctor said they would do a hearing test while the baby is in the NICU, but that didn’t happen yet. The test is pass/fail. If she passes, that’s great! If she fails, that could just mean she has fluid in her ears or something. But she does have ears!

At some point we’ll have a consolation with the crainofacial surgeon and find out more about fixing the cleft pallet, and if Ariasha will need jaw surgery or anything else like that.

The NICU doctor said Ariasha has to stay in the NICU until she keeps milk down. She didn’t puke all day, so I asked the charge nurse if she would be released today or tomorrow. Her response was, the baby is in the NICU until she’s proficient at using the special bottle. They want to make sure she can eat before they let us take her. Or they can teach us to use the feeding tube, but we’d all prefer the bottle.

So she spent another night in the NICU and I had a quite night in my room in the hospital. In the NICU, I’m mama caring for my baby. Then I go upstairs to pump milk, and suddenly I’m the patient again, with a nurse checking my blood pressure etc. I have to remind myself that I did just birth a baby and do need to take it easy. But today I get released from the hospital and will no longer have a waitress to refill my water bottle, and take pumped milk to the baby in the middle of the night.

Becky is wife to Duane, mama to "Monkey-girl" and baby "Lioness" aka "PipSqueek." She is the administrative powerhouse for YWAM Bend and keeps our team grounded and organized. Her hope is to inspire and encourage other mamas in their journey to raise healthy, thriving families.
Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search