Empowering Communities with Cultural Sustainability

My Journey to Health – How it all Began

Home / Health / My Journey to Health – How it all Began

My Journey to Health – How it all Began

In my early 20s I worked at a daycare and was sick a lot and was on antibiotics once a month for 6 months. At 25 I got married and moved to India. I collected a bunch of parasites, and over the course of 2 months I had giardia, salmonella, and e. coli and what I called “snap-jaw” where my mouth would snap shut on its own, really hard. It felt like I was going to shatter my teeth. I was on 6 different antibiotics in one month, which came with all sorts of weird side-effects and I had an anaphylactic reaction to one of them. I reached the point I was pretty sure medicine was making everything worse.

We came back to the USA and the doctors said there was nothing wrong with me. I ate gluten-free, dairy free for a few months and recovered enough to start eating normal again.

About 6 months later, I was pregnant with Monkey. I was so tired and sleeping 13hrs at night, because my thyroid was not working right. I also had really low blood sugar. There were times I’d eat a spoonful of sugar just to keep from passing out. When I drank the nasty sugar drink for the blood test, I felt really good and my blood sugar was 84 (normal is 80-120). Its a little scary to realize how dangerously low my blood sugar was. I thought these were “normal” pregnancy problems which would go away after the baby was born, but no, it continued. It was a vicious cycle of me eating sugar to keep from passing out, but the sugar fed the bad bacteria, which got bigger and stronger.

I noticed My face and neck were itchy often, but I blamed the dry climate or my dreadlocks. I was dizzy in the car, or sometimes just walking. I thought I was car sick or needed new glasses prescription. I was sensitive to the florescence lights at the grocery store. I would get overwhelmed and exhausted being in a big, loud church foyer.

When Monkey was 2 months old, I bit my cheek and put melaleuca oil on it in my mouth. Either I’m allergic, or that disrupted the delicate balance in my body. I suddenly felt like I was dying and was sick in bed for about 5 days, and after that had diarrhea for about 2 months.

After being sick for a couple months, I was on antibiotics. Then I had an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts. After that, it seemed all food made me sick. I figured out gluten made me dizzy, and soy made me take a nap, carrots made my mouth explode in itchiness. For a month, I ate only brown rice, bananas and eggs.

I found a naturopath who tested me and identified 12 different blood flukes (parasites which travel the blood stream and wreak havoc on various organs). Also hypothyroidism and I don’t have enough stomach acid to digest food. So I did a cleanse putting drops under my tongue and taking probiotics, digestive enzymes, HCL, and thyroid meds. I also got rid of all my toxic personal care products and household cleaning products. Now I buy toxic-free products from Go Beyond Natural.

I had heard about GAPS, (but didn’t read the instruction book) so I started drinking bone broth a couple times a day. At that point, Monkey was 6 months old and ready for food, so we tried new foods together. We tried pears and nothing bad happened, a couple days later we tried peas, etc. I gradually expanded my diet and ate mostly GAPS/Paleo for over 2 years. A few times I had too much kombucha and experienced flu-like symptoms of die-off. Other than that, I felt healthier and stronger than I had felt in years!

Becky is wife to Duane, mama to "Monkey-girl" and baby "Lioness" aka "PipSqueek." She is the administrative powerhouse for YWAM Bend and keeps our team grounded and organized. Her hope is to inspire and encourage other mamas in their journey to raise healthy, thriving families.
Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search